Marrakech — the North African destination affectionately known as the red city — is a traveler’s dream. Filled with color, pattern, plants, and art, you’ll feel as though you’ve been transported in time.
Yet, with everything it has to offer, some may feel overwhelmed with the choices. Where do I stay? Can I eat that? How much should I negotiate?
We’ll answer those questions and more when you join us on The Creative Reset Retreat.
Co-hosted by Kim Wensel and Amanda Ponzio-Mouttaki, you’ll have the best of both worlds — Americans who will help prepare you for your journey and local guides who know the lay of the land. Once you arrive, everything will be taken care of for you, from airport transfers to a private riad and intimate workshops and tours.
Pack Your Bags: December 4-10, 2023
This unique partnership between your hosts, Kim and Amanda, offers you the opportunity to see Morocco in a way few see it. Think of this as an insider’s trip.
You’ll explore your creativity as you watch how traditional makers express their own. You’ll recalibrate your vision alongside new friends. And you’ll return home feeling renewed and inspired.
Oh, and of course, you’ll shop. Just in time for the holidays, you’ll have the opportunity to handpick gifts that are truly thoughtful and unique. Want to buy something for your home and need to ship it back? We’ll help with logistics.
There’s no need to worry about missing something or navigating the city. It’s all taken care of for you.
- Two prep calls covering what to pack, how to prepare, and what to expect
- Transportation to/from the airport
- Curated welcome basket
- Private accommodations — 6 days, 6 nights — in a riad rented just for us
- Breakfast every day, 3 lunches, and farewell dinner
- Curated city tour experience by English-speaking guides
- Private hammam (a must-do Moroccan spa experience)
- City food tour
- 2 guided shopping trips
- 2 creative and maker-led workshops
- City headshot session to capture your experience
- Printed magazine (yes, you heard that right) recapping the trip
* Your flight and travel insurance are not included in the retreat fee. In the past we’ve had travelers use Allianz or SafetyWing, but please choose one that fits your specific needs and situation.
Investment: $3250 private room | $2300 shared room
$500 non-refundable deposit required. Payment plans available.
6 Days, 6 Nights of Adventure
MONDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2023:
Afternoon: Arrive, get settled, and catch up on sleep
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2023:
Morning: Welcome breakfast and intention setting.
Afternoon: Lunch and City Tour
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2023
Morning: Workshop #1
Afternoon: Guided hopping excursion and dinner
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2023
Morning: Hammam (spa service)
Afternoon: Food Tour
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2023
Morning: Workshop #2
Afternoon: Traditional lunch and medina
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2023
Morning: Free time
Afternoon: City headshots and farewell dinner
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2023
Morning: Breakfast and departure
While it may look like a packed schedule, please know that free time will be built into each day to allow for a restful and self-guided experience. All activities are optional. Schedule is subject to change based on attendance, weather, and any other factors outside of our control.
Is This Trip for You?
If you’re looking for a trip to kick up your heels and lounge by the pool all day, this one probably isn’t it. Of course you’ll have down time, but the focus of this trip is exploration — uncovering new things about yourself and everything surrounding you.
We’ll be trying new foods and walking at least one mile a day. Of course there will be plenty of opportunities to relax, read by the pool, and enjoy the down time.
What Others Have Said
“If you allow yourself to, you will emerge with a better understanding of self and what it is you need to show up in the life you choose to create.“– Amenah
“Fantastic fantastic fantastic. The environment, the carefully curated women, the food and nourishment, the unfolding, the learning, the connections, the emotions— I will hold this experience near and dear to my heart for as long as I live.“– Nicole
“As the days progressed, I could see how themes were playing out in my past, present and impacting my future. It felt extremely intentional. And of course, the little things like the private chef and photographer were added bonuses that really made it feel like a retreat and not just a ‘workshop.’“– Michelle
About Your Hosts
Kim Wensel is the co-founder of Range Global Goods, a Virginia-based concept store and creative studio, and founder of Pattern of Purpose, a communications and branding consultancy. She’s hosted two podcasts and multiple creative retreats across the U.S., helping women uncover their vision and build a business that supports their life.
Amanda Ponzio-Mouttaki is the owner of MarocMama, travel advisor with Focused Escapes, and CEO of Moroccan Food Adventures. While raising her 3 boys, she’s spent the last 20 years visiting, traveling, and living in Morocco. She’s regularly called on to speak about the travel industry and been featured in international media outlets, including the Netflix show Somebody Feed Phil and the eponymous cookbook.
- How long does it take to get to Marrakech?
- This really depends on where you’re flying from. From DC, there are two options: a direct overnight flight into Casablanca or another European hub and connecting to Marrakech from there, taking about 14 hours in total. You can probably expect to see similar options from any major U.S. city.
- Are flights included in the retreat pricing?
- No, you are responsible for booking your own flight. Some people like to use points and others have their preferred airline, which makes it challenging to coordinate with a group. We will provide recommended windows for arrival and departure and we’ve provided a large window for travel so that no one misses out.
- What is a riad?
- Riads are typical Moroccan homes normally with two or more stories around an Andalusian-style courtyard that contain a fountain and/or orange tree. They’re a more traditional and peaceful alternative to a large hotel — not to mention convenient to all the Medina has to offer. Read more about them here.
- Is there an option to share a room?
- If you’d like to attend the retreat with a friend or family member or if you’re open to sharing a room with a soon-to-be-friend, we’re happy to offer a reduced rate of $2300/person. Please note that most riads are not as large as American hotels, so if you choose the double option, you may be in a twin bed.
- Do I need to speak the language?
- English is spoken widely across Marrakech. Amanda, who will be with us for the duration of the retreat, also speaks Arabic.
- What are the additional costs I should plan for outside of the retreat?
- You’ll be on your own for two lunches and five dinners. Also keep in mind that Moroccan meals are very generous so you may only want a very light dinner after lunch. You’ll also want to budget for shopping one-of-a-kind finds, perfect for holiday gifts and decorating your own home with travel-sourced treasures!
- Is it worth it to travel to other places outside of Marrakech?
- After making the trek to Morocco, we recommend spending as much time as possible here. You may choose to visit the Atlas Mountains or Essaouira. While extended trips are not included in retreat pricing, we are happy to provide recommendations.
- What type of weather can I expect?
- The weather in Marrakech is similar to Phoenix, Arizona. During our time together you can expect daily highs to be in the upper 60s with warm sun.
- What should I wear?
- We’ll talk in depth about this in our planning calls, but know for sure you’ll want good walking shoes. Amanda has an amazing packing list HERE.
- Can I bring my kids?
- Unfortunately, we have not prepared the itinerary to be kid-friendly so it’s best to leave them at home.
- I have more questions.
- Please email Kim at [email protected] and we’ll be happy to answer those for you!